Kingston Upon Thames

This year I am embarking on a grand adventure across the pond. I am venturing to Kingston Upon Thames, UK to study at Kingston University. I will be going for my MA in Journalism; which will only take a year to achieve! I will be done next September, and hopefully if all goes right I will be able to just stay there and work; and lets not forget... Live! I'm so excited, that I want to share my experiences with you all!!! So, lets start from the beginning:

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Gas in the Thames

The other day as I walked down my usual route along the River Thames, I was greeted by a greasy sight.
As I was looking in the river there were glossy swirls on the top of the water. At first I thought it was odd, but then I looked a little closer and realized what it was; it was gas!
I continued walking and looking into the river with general disgust on my face and concern.
Especially when I could start to smell the stench of gas and saw the swirls increase in size.
Near the boats that ferry people to Hampton Court I came across a giant patch of gas afloat in the water and a rainbow gleaming on the surface as if viewing an oil spot on asphalt.
What was really horrific was when a duck and swan were swimming within the pool of gas and attempting to eat out of the greasy patch.
When seeing this I quickly took out my camera and started snapping the moment of horror.
I then had to peel myself away and dash off to University where I was greeted by classmates who responded saying that what I saw was normal.
My mouth hung open in shock.
Luckily when walking down the Thames today it looks better, but I fear this is not the last time I will experience the sad view of ducks and swans and other birds swimming and eating in a gassy watery mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment